Public speaking is the way to communicate the personal point of views and self-expression with the known and unknown small and large groups of people to achieve certain goals. In Business Public speaking is the branch of communication skills that is important in leadership and management. But in personal and social life daily activities and in development actions, public speaking is the most essential skill to have.
Public speaking comes naturally in a person after knowing the personal or public goal, clarity in thoughts, understanding of public interest and self-analysis of positional or situational responsibilities.
Now the goal of the speaker can be negative or positive, the clarity in thoughts can be aggressive, public interest can be ignored with personal interest and in a certain situation public speaking communication can be used to make people angry, confident, cheated, inspired and even also to fool people and organizations.
Public speaking can be in a large or small group of audience and it can be in a certain class, family gathering.
Following are the example or uses of public speaking:
Public speaking not only limited to the speaker or presenter in on stage but it also involved in the backstage.
- When a student asks the question to the teacher in the class.
- When a person speaks in the public stage.
- When someone posts social media status, image, video he/she is speaking.
- When an artist lists the painting sale or public exhibition then that communication through his/her art publicly.
- When a person or writer write a book, article or blog and share in public then it’s the way to communicate with people in written words.
- When someone communicates a personal or professional point of views in the video and upload it on video search engines such as YouTube then it’s also public speaking.
- When someone trying to sell the product in the bus, traffic signals, showrooms, shops and explaining the benefits then it’s also the public speaking.
- When government or non-government organization distribute public notice.
- Advertisements and promotions
- Natural disasters are the public speaking of nature and environment with humans.
The social media content, videos, blog, newspapers, magazines, books, tv shows, news media, painting, and almost any single or multiple objects (people, group to group) or subject that share with more than 1 person for opinions, judgments, and orders are all public speaking. And the technology, books, painting, and media is the medium of personal and public communication when a person or group use to communicate based on his/her strengths and goals.
So public speaking skill (or skills) is required for impactful communication with the audience to take actions and change the mindset. And most important to get the attention of busy people online and offline.
Following the top Public speaking skills and why these skills are important while presenting, representing, leading, teaching, delegating and speaking on the stage and videos:
- Clarity about the goal
- Knowledge about the topic
- Creative ways to explain important and complex points
- Strong vocabulary
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Topics, Words, and speaking based on the audience interest
- Behavioral analysis of audience on certain topics
- What needs to say or what not
Why public speaking skills are important?
1. To learn more to lead:
To learn more about the subject you have to ask questions that are coming in your mind while learning. Not only questions, but you also have to answer. But for questions and answering, you have to speak.
- Students have to ask the question in the class to learn more.
- Citizen has to ask questions in the government office, why their work is not being done.
- Social and political leaders have to ask questions directly or through media from the government for certain policies.
- Media have to communicate social problems and have to present specific facts.
- Businesses owners and marketers have to ask questions, surveys from the customers.
In all the above things, the public is included. It can be a class of teachers, societies, communities, parliament, media and government authorities.
In all these people have to ask questions. And the responsible person has to answer.
If students or people don’t ask questions then they will not be able to learn and find out the problems. Many students and people hesitate to due to lack of knowledge, lack of confidence and fear of criticism and joke on himself. But due to not asking questions, they will remain uneducated, underrated, and even slave.
Questioning and answering is an important part of public speaking skills. And that’s why it’s important to have public speaking skills to learn more about the subject and consequences that are happening with individuals and groups.
2. To achieve personal, business and collective goals:
To achieve personal, business and collective goals it’s important for a person to communicate about their goals with the team and groups. If someone hesitates to communicate about the works that need to being done then it’s not possible to achieve personal, business and collective goals.
- If you want to create a group of people for cleaning your village, you have to communicate with them. The people of your village is public and part of society.
- If you want to teach people about environmental problems and social crisis you have to communicate in videos, social media, presentations. All the audience or listener are public. And without the support of the public, you can’t achieve your goals. But to get their support and vote you have to use your public speaking skills.
Related: Why is leadership important in life
3. To get fundamental rights:
As an individual, you have to fight for your fundamental rights provided by the constitution, if you find government or authorities are not treating you equally like other people, limiting your freedom to live, etc. you have to communicate. And for that you have to communicate and have to explain your point of view, problems and goals with the government authorities, organizations, political leaders, societies, and problem solvers. And all these are unknown people, you don’t know about them, they are public and always be around the public. So, you have to be a good public speaker, to communicate the problems with the authorities respectfully or according to the situation.
4. For the development of society and nation:
Public speaking skills are important to fight against corruption. You can’t remove corruption by your own land without talking to someone. You have to run a public campaign and to make that successful, you have to use the various medium of communication in public such as social media, digital content, tv, print, seminars, and many other things.
But if know the solution, but unable to inspire the public to take important action agonists then it’s tough to remove corruption.
That’s why public speaking skills are very important in social development.
5. To become the bigger version of yourself:
You become powerful with the money, knowledge and public support. To earn money, you have to advertise and market your products and services online and offline with the public. The public will give you money for good products/services. And the right use of that money will make you powerful.
To become knowledgeable about the person and social problems you have to communicate with teachers, groups and communities and various other powerful people. You have to ask the right question and you have to be trustworthy so that the public gives your ideas and information about a certain subject.
And to get the support of the people you have to communicate with them and help to solve their problems.
Now in all these things to become powerful your public speaking skills matter. Things that matter are how you communicate when you communicate, what language you use, how deeply you understand, how long you listen, and how faster you commit to change that situation.
So, in conclusion, I would like to say that, to create and lead team, companies, startups, small groups of societies, NGO’s to solve social and business problems you have to use your public speaking skills. To debate with government and political leaders, you have to be strong in public speaking. And to make this world better with good intent, your public speaking skills play a big role online and offline.
If you haven’t subscribed yet, Please Enter your email id here & subscribe then verify it by visiting verification link in your mailbox, after that you will get great articles like this one automatically to your email inbox.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?