Online classes, online courses, and online degree programs are ready-made educational products for students. Online courses and classes are artificial. While traditional classes, offline courses, and offline degree programs are service-based products. In which teachers have to serve education each day with their own creativity, situation, the mood of class and experiences. The answer is tailor-made according to the students, while students and teachers interaction happens in traditional classes.
Following are the difference between online classes and traditional classes:
- You can take online classes in whenever you get time. It can be during travel by bus, car, train, plane. It’s not possible in traditional classes. You have to be in class on the time according to pre-fixed schedule and mostly a fixed place. But online classes gives you time to manage yourself for learning. In traditional classes, you have to be good at time management for learning. It means online classes have options for time management. But in traditional class you don’t have options for time management, you have to get time no matter what.
- Learning requires discipline. Students can be careless while taking online classes and courses. They can ignore the consistency and development of skill within them, without discipline. In another side, traditional classes do not wait for you and your best mood. Traditional classes keep running no matter you’re in the mood of learning and not.
- It’s tough to drop the traditional classes. Each class and course is based on certain goals. After semester students have to participate in exams and it’s the fear that makes it possible to attend each topic and class for students. Online classes or courses do not have that many boundaries. And that’s why many students do not complete the online courses and classes.
- In traditional classes, teachers have responsibilities to educate and train students in certain skills. And for that, they do the hard work and use their creativity according to students response. But in online classes, the hard work and pre-designed creativity or they are ready-made educational products.
- In online classes, teachers are not able to understand students questions, past experience, study environment, financial conditions, and personality. But in traditional classes when the student asks any certain question it’s easy for teachers to understand the students and his/her questions because the student is present in the classes or interacting in real time.
- Students can’t learn and understand and become skilled in everything by taking online courses or joining online classes. There are many skills and topics in a course or syllabus in which you have to practice in front of teachers such as Graphics Designing, English and Hindi Typing etc. teachers have to see, how students are performing. And this is possible in best ways in traditional classes.
- In online courses, online classes students do not get an immediate answer to their questions. And many students unable to ask the questions from instructors. Even many teachers do not have answers to students questions. Questions and answering required little more interactions and communication layers than just likes and comments. It takes time for teachers in online classes to answer all the questions of students. In traditional classes, there is a time and method to answer. Sometimes answers are not in the text, they can be an image, they can be in an assignment, they can be in any form of creativity. And it’s tough in online classes to explore possibilities for answers.
- There are high chances of this is that in online classes and online courses support teams, are not the team of teachers, but they are trained sales and customer support people. Students can’t identify that if they are interacting with teachers or bots or sales support.
- Online courses, online degree programs are less costly than traditional classes. It takes 40000 to 10000 offline to learn PHP programming or website designing skills, but in online classes, you can learn such skills in less than 10,000. The price of education or knowledge or course is never like vegetable prices (e.g. 2 KG apple, in $2), knowledge is priceless but the world compares the knowledge with its prices too. In that comparison, online classes and courses are less costly for students than offline.
- Online classes and online courses are open to all type of students, people worldwide. Online courses and classes are free from casteism, communism, poor and rich and black and white comparison. Everything is available for everyone in the same way and quantity. But in the traditional classroom or before admission school and colleges asks, “are you below poverty line (IRDP), or SC, ST etc.
- The cost of conducting online classes are less for colleges and universities. They are required less infrastructure such as tables, chairs, boards, teachers, admission and examination process etc. But in traditional classes, it consumes many things.
- In online classes, students are free to complete the course with their own learning capacity. I mean the speed of learning can be fast and slow and it supports all kind configured students. In traditional classes, some students are slow to respond, slow to understand the topic, in that case, many times their doubts skipped. And not all care, because teachers have to complete syllabus, they have a deadline from the principal, chancellor and deen office. Everyone has to be answered by everyone. But in this case, the learners remain doubtful about the topics. Such doubts in students mind create conflicts of interest and point of debates later in their career.
- In online courses, students can find out which one is the best for them before enrollment. It can find out by total enrolled students, feedbacks and reviews, course content and teachers experience. But in traditional classes you don’t know that class content is up to date or not, is a teacher is an experience ? or is it in teaching job just after the approach of political leaders.
- You can’t get lifetime access to the Traditional Classes. But it’s the advantages of online classes that you can access it on any device anytime.
- Online classes/online degrees are more suitable for higher classes such as for college students or after bachelor students. Online classes required some technical and basic computer/internet knowledge.
- Traditional classes are based on countries development goals and online classes are more based on keyword research. It means online courses, classes, and syllabus are created after researching keywords about what students want to learn or what people are searching on Search Engine. In other ways, traditional classes have specific reasons.
- In online classes, you don’t have much to participate in the project/assignment and experiments. You can just watch and predict. In traditional classes, you can participate, touch and feel what’s happening during the experiments/projects. You have an active role in the assignment. For example, you can learn and watch how to filter crude oil, but you can’t do it in real time at home, because many things are not available for all students in that time.
- It’s tough to learn from other enrolled students in online classes. You can read the comments. You can build a network with similar students, but it also takes time and efforts. But in traditional classes, there are many chances to learn from classmates, such as any student can ask a creative question that you never imagined connected to the class topic, and you will learn this in free. It’s not happening yet in online classes.
Education is not what students like to learn, education is what is good for them to learn.
In conclusion, I must say that both are beneficial for students. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. It’s important for decision makers (students/education providers) to understand the importance of the subject. For beginner students, it’s important for them to take a traditional degree, diploma courses. Once they are efficient in the basics of any subject and got learning abilities then they can join online degree programs. It’s similar for IT students to only join online IT degree programs after the basics of Computer and computer science.
But the exception is this, if someone has great learning skills (willing to learn to achieve any particular goals) then it’s not a problem of method, no matter they join online classes or traditional classes. They are there for learning.
What do you think about it? Please share your views in comments.