Through online courses websites, you can do basic computer courses, you can learn business, programming, graphic design skills and you can also do various online courses as per your career, business goals, hobbies, interest and demands.
Students, professionals, business owners, investors, housewives, senior citizens, and even kids can do online courses.
Online courses are the fastest method to learn and build new skills systematically and effectively. The things you learn in 6 months offline, now you can learn them online within a month.
There are various free and paid online course websites. Each online course website has its own course price, syllabus, features, and support for students.
But the problem arises when you are unable to choose which online course site or platform is best for you. And it’s a very important decision before you start learning online.
Due to the wrong selection of online course platforms, many students unable to complete the course, and they waste time, money, and resources. Each online course provider website or company considered itself the best online learning platform. So, it’s tough to choose which one is actually best for the learners.
So now let’s take a look at the following points:
What are the things that make any online courses website the best website?
- The best online Courses site where courses, sections, notes are updated frequently as per the technological changes.
- The best online learning platform where students can test their skills and learning progress.
- The best online courses platform is where students are guided through blog posts about various technology, job, business, and career trends.
- The speed of the online courses websites has to be fast to load on the mobile as well as on the desktop. So that students will not get distracted and errors.
- Online course websites also have to make sure that ratings and reviews on the online courses on their platforms should not be fake.
- Teacher or course instructor bio and communication option has to be visible so that students can communicate and ask questions.
- The courses on the platform are arranged in a way that makes it easy for students to take and do the course. It means where user interface and experiences both are good and as per the goals of students.
- The course and subscription prices are not overpriced or underpriced.
- Online course platforms have to mention course terms and details in advance to the students. So that students will not get misguided about various things. Such as do students will get certificates after the completion of the course? Is this certificate being valid in government jobs? Who created the course syllabus? Is it created by universities or by instructors? These types of questions and their answers have to be added to the online courses’ websites so that students can trust and can complete the online course confidently and effectively.
- The best online courses website is where students are not only influenced to do a specific online course but also guided on what to do after completing this course? As it’s a big problem with new students, they do online short-term courses, degree courses without getting the knowledge about what to do after that? Why they are doing the courses?
If any online course websites are not guiding students, then it’s tough to consider them the best online course websites.
But anyway, these are the basic things that have to be in online courses websites. along with ratings, downloads, chats, and quizzes or tests.
It’s true that you will never find the perfect online course sites. Each website has its own feature, prices, and business models. As a student, you have to decide what is best for you.
Now let’s move into the next paragraph where you will learn how to decide, how to select the online course, online course platform, or website to learn new skills or to update your existed skill. What are the key things that will help you to select the best online course platform?
How to decide which online courses website is best for you to do an online course?
Personally, I am learning online computer, marketing, and business skills for the last 10 years. It’s a continuous and never-ending process for career development.
After getting access to good Internet speed I started learning online. Before that, I was teaching basic computer, Microsoft office, adobe photoshop, and computer repairing skills to students in offline classes.
I have learned blogging, website designing, digital marketing, search engine optimization, and many other skills online. I have chosen various online learning and skill development platforms as per the requirement, budget, and goals.
And I was successful in that so far. So today, I am sharing with you all those tips and my personal online learning experiences in this post. And I hope that it will guide you to select the best online course:
So, let’s get started:
Following are the questions important to answer each student before they join any type of online course and even degree course online?
I have personally asked similar questions to more than 1500 students offline before I enrolled them in my own courses and in the institute. And I will try to answer them as well today in this post and why these answers and how the clarity in students’ minds is important before doing an online course or before joining any training institute, college or online classes.
What are you trying to achieve by doing an online course?
To pick the best online courses platform you have to define yourself, why you’re doing this course.
For example, you decided to do a programming course. Before this, you don’t have any programming language or online learning experiences. But now you’re wondering where to do a programming course online?
So now your goals can be the following:
If your goal is to get a job as a software developer after a course or you want to work as a web or app or software developer in a small or multinational company.
And if your goal is to build your own web or mobile application then your course selection process or online learning platform can be different.
Now in the case of job-oriented course goal:
- Search exact terms on Google, Best Computer Programming Courses for jobs.
- Read course reviews and find is there any person who got the job after doing this course?
- Note down the course modules and compare them with other online courses sites. Also, compare the prices.
- Research and make a list of the skills that are required in software development works and jobs. Find the courses based on those skills.
- Also, research on the freelance website. Research the project or job skills requirement.
The point is simple if you’re learning reason and the goals of the course matched then you can do that online course. And it can be then any online course website.
For example, if your goal is to get a certificate and website or online course platform mentioned that you will get certification then you can do that course. But you also have to make sure that the certificate is also valid. You just have to do little research on your own.
But if you want to learn business skills then you don’t have to worry about certificates at all. The only thing that is important for you is to select the course website and course where you can learn business skills along with practical examples. It’s also important for the students that they learn through examples, tests and assignments. So you have to select the platform and course based on your business goals.
For example, if you want to reduce the cost of your business, then select the course where you can gain this knowledge also at less cost.
Another important thing to remember that it’s not that important what platform you choose to do an online course? Instead, the most important thing is the online course itself.
For example, if you get a business development course on YouTube for free then it’s not important that it’s YouTube or any other website.
The platform is not important. But what type of online courses that platform has listed for the people matter the most.
What about the course instructor?
Is the course teacher being identifiable on the web and is he/she have proof of expertise or experience?
For example, if a blogging teacher teaching about blogging and SEO? Is there any proof that his own blog or website is getting the traffic?
Also, if someone teaching about web development then check his/her built websites or apps or portfolio or check if he/she has worked or working in a Web development company?
It’s important to research that, it’s because anyone can create and sell online courses just for money by following another course or another online course website. There are also many blog and YouTube channels that copy the content of others and present that on YouTube and on their own blog.
So, it’s important to consider the course instructor profile while selecting the course and also the platform.
Do you want a course certificate or not?
There are various types of online course websites. Some provide the certificate and some not. And many also provide a course completion certificate. In normal conditions, a course completion certificate is enough to get a job.
In many interviews or jobs, your level of certification is most important. For example, your computer science degree course certificate is not just a course completion certificate. It’s proof of your expertise.
But practically, I think in the future, practical skills are important. For jobs certificate or proof of expertise will not be a certificate anymore, but your achievements or assignment or past projects will matter, especially in the IT field.
Many online course websites charge more only for certifications. It’s because most of the students think a certificate is most important when selecting the course. That’s why many online course websites, institutes, colleges, and universities charge too much fees or prices for the course.
Personally, it’s not good to pay anyone for the overpriced course just for a degree or certificate. It’s because your knowledge, skills, and practical proof of your expertise are more important than a certificate.
But if you don’t want a certificate then you can also learn the same skills in another course that can be in $10 or $100. So why pay $10000. Certificates or degrees will never prevent you to become successful in life. They are just adding or add-on strengths in your career.
This method or strategy is not fit for all students. It’s only for those who don’t want to pay too much, who don’t have more budget and those who don’t afford it.
It also means you don’t have to take a loan just to join an online or offline degree course. Many students are unable to pay that loan after completing the course. Due to lack of jobs or lack of the demands for learned skills.
So be clear about the goals and then choose the online course and platform.
Can you pay for the course one time, monthly?
The selection of the best online course website is mostly depending on the course pricing.
For example, you see that many online courses charge only for the 1 course 1 time. It can be $5 to $100 or more.
But there are also many other platforms, they provide you full access to all the courses is $20 per month.
So, the point is simple. How do you want to pay and what is the best method to pay?
Personally, as a beginner, it’s good to pay just for 1 small course or the main course 1st. For example, you pay $10 for a python programming course.
But if you’re a professional and continues learning is important for you, then you can take a monthly subscription to access all the online courses on that platform. This is best for teachers, bloggers and leaders.
So, if you can afford and if you’re professional then go with a monthly subscription. But if you want to remain flexible and lower cost than just pay for 1 course 1 time. Both have their own benefits and disadvantages.
But for example, if you’re not sure what to course to do to become a web developer then you can join a complete web development course that is combined with all the skills required for web development.
Do you just want to learn one skill or want to learn new skills each month?
When selecting the online course platform then also think about do you just want to do one course or want some other courses in the future. If you think you want to build add-on skills from only one online course website then you can go with a monthly subscription.
But if you’re learning or just want to do one course, then don’t pay for a monthly subscription.
Do you want a free or cheapest method to learn new skills or a Premium or high-quality platform?
High quality or premium courses websites charge more. But if you’re a good student then you can also learn and improve your skills just by doing the cheapest course.
For example, one student can learn more from a free YouTube tutorial than another student who is doing a premium course or paying too much money for the learning.
The learning capacities of each student is different. One can learn from a book and the other can’t learn even from the world’s best teacher.
The point is simple. It’s not a surety that you will become an expert or skilled just because you’re doing an online course, degree or learning at a reputed college and by paying money. You have to learn it, build it and have to do everything that is important to become an expert. If you’re a good learner you will also learn and research that skills on YouTube, blogs, social media and various other channels. It’s because you want to learn.
But if you think, just one online course is enough to become an expert in something then you’re thinking wrong. You have to keep learning.
For example, once you did the course on one online course’s website, then try to learn the same or new things about the same subject on another course platform.
Do you want to take live classes or you want to watch the pre-recorded course?
You can also join online live classes and you can also buy pre-recorded course video or video course. You can select the method as per your need and choice. For example, if you completed the basic course just by watching pre-recorded video tutorials, now you can take the live classes. So that you can ask good questions. And live classes or one to one learning and teaching is very effective.
How faster you want to learn new skills?
In live classes, you have to learn as per the online course instructor schedule. But if you want to learn something faster than you have to bought an online course so that you can follow and watch the materials in 3 to 4 hours and done. This is good for a crash course or refreshment of your knowledge. But as a beginner, you have to learn stepwise and in detail as per the course instructors’ guidelines.
So, in conclusion, the best method to select the best online courses website and online course you have to define your goals, situation, budget and schedule. After that select the course and platform that help you to achieve your goals as per your conditions or goals. That’s it.
So now let’s find out the details about the best and popular online courses websites that you can choose to do online courses or update your technical or non-technical skills regularly:
Best Online Courses Websites to build and update Your Skills:
1. YouTube overview as an online learning platform:
YouTube is not defined as an online course website. But it’s a video sharing platform. People around the world share almost all types of categories of content free such as entertainment, funny and personal views. And you will also find that there are also technology and academic skills-based content shared by individuals and organization.
Most of the videos you will find are based on personal views. They are not be considered an online course.
But many online instructors, experts, and professionals upload course-based content in a series. Many also upload 20% to 30% part of their online courses on YouTube to promote the full online course.
And you can watch and learn various skills on YouTube without paying any fees. Don’t think, if something is free then it’s not valuable. Even many videos are more valuable than paid courses.
For example, housewives in the small villages of India learning various cooking, fashion, and small business skills from YouTube. Even kids are learning how to drawing, painting, poetry, and various other things.
Almost all the people who are aware and have some productive goals taking the advantage of YouTube for free.
While the things they are watching on YouTube are also paid to learn through Online Courses. But that you can learn for free on YouTube.
But if you want a systematic process of learning and want to continue learning a particular subject in quick time then it’s tough to do that on YouTube.
2. Alison Online Course Website Overview:
Alison is the free and paid online education platform where you will find technology, languages, science, health, math, marketing, business, and many other online courses. You can do certificate courses, diploma courses along with a career path that is good for jobs.
From school students to professionals, managers, and business owners get courses as per their current occupation, designation, and equipment.
For example, if you want to do a course for career development but don’t know which course is best for you then you will get recommendations for the courses and skills. For career development, you will get recommendations such as gain negotiation skills, supervision skills, communication, and management skills.
The courses are mobile-friendly, you will get course duration details, certification details, and everything along with the course. You can also download the Alison mobile app.
You will also get more than 2000+ free online courses. But you have to pay for premium courses, certification, and diplomas. But if you want to do a free course that you will also find advertisements along with the course. And that’s not a big deal these days if the course content is useful and productive.
And if you liked the free course, content, and flexibility in learning on Alison, then you can join and do premium courses.
Personally, I think this platform is best for job seekers, students who want to do certificate and diploma courses online. And it’s also very good for professionals who want to update their skills and certification for new jobs or promotions.
Few facts and data about Alison while writing this post (Data is dynamic on the web; it means it can change anytime):
- 19% of there are websites visitors are from United State, it means it’s very popular in united states for online learning and courses.
- 336,165 people like their Facebook page. And they update the Facebook page regularly with new updates and guides. And that’s very important for students to get regular updates on new skills, guides, and market trends.
- Alison mobile app is installed by more than 100000+ people and it is rated 4.7 by 2286 people as per the google play information. It means it’s a good and reliable source of learning on the internet.
- As per the information on the Alison website, they have 17 Million learners worldwide.
- You will find course content in PowerPoint slides, videos, images.
3. Udemy Online course website and marketplace overview:
Udemy is one of the biggest and most popular platforms for online learning and teaching platform on the Internet. On this online learning platform, you can find various types of online courses. On udemy courses are categorized in a good manner and it’s easy to find out the courses.
The course categories and subcategories are properly optimized for the learners.
For example, in the Development categories, you will find Web development, mobile development, programming languages, game development, software testing, software engineering, development tools, and many others. Now the courses are listed after subcategories.
For example, in the mobile app development sub-category. You will find online courses to learn if your goal is to become a mobile app developer or build mobile app development skills such as Google Flutter, Android Development, iOS Development, Swift, Reactive Native, Kotlin and many others.
Now once you click any of them, you will get a list of online courses.
For example, if you click on react native, you will see the online courses that are again categorized with popularity, new, favorites, best sellers, highest rated. And along with that, you will also see the instructor or company name, ratings, and price.
And personally, I liked their navigation and course categorization and it’s one of the great examples of user experience and interface.
Personally, I have done more than 20 to 30 courses so far on the udemy related to business, technology and marketing. But not only you can do an online course on these categories but you will also find courses in personal development, marketing, lifestyle, photography, health & fitness, music, academics, office productivity, IT & software, finance and accounting, and many other.
As per information from the udemy, while I was writing this post, they have more than 130000 courses with 35 million students. And it’s the biggest number for online learning websites.
Reasons, why udemy is popular and one of the best online course websites:
- According to google keyword planner (Keyword Research tools), 10K to 100K people searched udmey online courses on the Google Search Engine each month from the last 12 months (From Jan 2020 to December 2020).
- While I was writing this post, Udemy online course website globally ranked on 348, in the united states it’s on 480, and in the education category on 21st position around the world, after checking and analyzing the udemy website rank on the similar web.
- According to a similar web, 67.86% of people visit this website by using search engines such as Google. And it’s proof that it’s a really popular online learning website.
- Anyone who has knowledge and skills in any area or expertise can create an online course, teach people globally on the udemy. And people can earn money by creating online video courses and by teaching people.
- Not only that, not only that, but udemy also provides a virtual training program and online courses for businesses. It means if you want to train and update the skills of your team then you can join or use udemy for business.
- Not only that, but udemy also provides a virtual training program and online courses for businesses. It means employer or business owners can use it to train and update the skills of their teams as per the project demand.
- Udemy also invests money in advertising on the Internet. According to similarweb.com, 32.15% of traffic is from paid keywords. And that’s another reason for popularity.
- Not only that udemy run an affiliate program. In which anyone can promote udemy course on their website, monetize the audience and earn a commission after each course sale. It means udemy is recommended by thousands of people.
- Anyone can create and teach online courses on udemy. This provides great opportunities and platforms for teachers or experts to teach people online and earn income. These course creators also promote these courses on their own websites, YouTube videos and social media.
- Another reason behind the popularity is that courses are really cheap and I think the prices of the courses are the lowest on the web. And it benefits all types of students to learn online and build new skills. As not all students can afford to pay $100 to $10000 for online courses. So, it’s the best and flexible option for students, business owners, leaders, managers and housewives to learn new job oriented and business development skills just after investing $10 to $20.
4. Khan Academy Online Courses Website Overview:
Khanacademy.org is one of the biggest, best and popular free online course websites for decades. It’s a non-profit educational organization where you can learn and practice, update or improve your math, art, computer programming, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, history and finance, etc. knowledge and skills through online courses, coaching and lessons.
It’s like a free online coaching center for students. And as per the Khan Academy information, this organization is supported by Bank of America, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Tata Trusts and many others.
The mission of khan academy is to provide a free, world-class education for all types of financial background students, anywhere. And it’s really a great initiative by this organization since 2008.
So, I believe that each parent or student can try khan academy online courses and if they liked, they can also donate the money to this non-profit educational organization.
Here you can learn more about How Khan Academy Videos Are Made to Help You Learn
- While I was writing this post, Khan Academy YouTube Channels has reached 6.35M subscribers and the numbers are growing each day.
- More than 1,637,893 people follow Khan Academy’s Facebook page.
- Khan Academy mobile app installed by 10,000,000+ people and rated 4.4 by 139770 students according to the Google Play store information, the numbers are in a time while I was writing this post.
- And recently Elon Musk Donates $5 Million To Khan Academy to Boost Online Education. And now it will make big difference in online education and students worldwide.
Courses and classes are categorized from class 1 to class 12th. It means students can find and select the information and classes as per their class. And students can also prepare for various competitive or academic tests through khan academy websites such SAT.
According to similarweb.com traffic analysis and reports, the khan academy website ranked on number 9 currently in education categories worldwide.
55.14M people visited this website for the last 6 months. And 57.39% of people visited from the United State. It means Khan Academy it’s a very popular online education website in the united states. And 52% of people visited from the search engine.
According to Google Planner keyword research or planner tool, 1M to 10M people searched Khan Academy each month on Google for the last 12 months (Jan 2020 to December 2020).
- In which Khan Academy SAT – searched by 10K to 100K
- Khan Academy MCAT searched by 10K to 100K
- Khan Academy SAT Prep searched by 10K to 100K
- and 1K to 10K on various other keywords such as chemistry, English, biology, algebra, calculus, and many more.
So, it’s proof that Khan Academy is a great, popular, high-quality online course or classes website on the Internet that is free. It’s popular not only because it’s free, but the quality of content on various subjects also matters. Even its content in many subjects is better than various other paid mobile apps or courses.
5. Udacity Online Education Platform Overview:
Udacity is another online course website or learning platform that specializes in technology-related career and business skills. Here you can learn and build programming, data science, artificial intelligence, digital marketing, and many other trending tech skills.
One of the things that I liked on udacity website is the career resource center in which students can learn and explore various data and information related to jobs, careers, and interviews and skills. Which includes career options, coding practices, resume and portfolio building, and interview guide, and many others.
And it’s important for students after the completion of the course or even more important before the course. So that they can understand what needs to be done in order to do an online course on udacity or any other platform.
This career resource center part is also important for students after completing the course to read or follow. It will help students to showcase and promote their talent, skills, and knowledge specifically as per the target job positions in the company and also in the interviews.
Courses and nano degree programs are created with the collaboration of respective companies or industry leaders or institutions.
As per information on the Udacity website Cloud development using Microsoft Azure course is created with the collaboration of Microsoft.
You will also get detailed information about the course syllabus and a trending a fact such as Azure related job growth is projected to hit 40% over the next decade. This type of fact actually powers to promote the course. But it also educates the students about the thing that they are learning.
If students don’t know the future demand of any tech skills, then they will remain confused about their future. So that’s why I like this option as well.
And as per the udacity information, each course includes industry experts, career services, technical support and flexibility learning programs.
You will also get the feedback and reviews details of other important details related to the course is that is important along with the course as students.
And they also have listed success stories of the students that not only inspire students to learn but also make it proof that people are actually learning various tech and career development skills on udacity.
- Udacity YouTube channels have reached 468K subscribers till this time (while writing this post). Where you can find and test their teaching level or vision behind the courses.
- According to the Google Keyword Planner or research tool, Udacity nano degree program has been searched by 10K to 100K monthly (From the last 12 months). And 1K to 10K people are also searching for udacity data science, python, machine learning, and various other courses on Google.
- It means udacity is one of the popular platforms around the world that people search with the name. I know that not all are students. But at least we find that we’re not only considering udacity for online courses but there are many others.
- And according to the similarweb.com website analysis, most of the visit on udacity is from United States, India, Egypt and Saudi Arabia
So far, we find the above online courses website best for students, professionals, housewive,s and entrepreneurs to do online courses.
I know there are some other goods and high-quality online education platforms and websites. But our goal to write this post is to showcase or list the free, lowest-cost online courses websites.
So, in conclusion, I say that online course platforms or websites do not matter that much because most of the online courses’ websites’ features or plans are similar. But the most important thing that you have to consider is course content, demand for that content or skills, certification option, price of the course, and instructors’ expertise or experience are the key things to look at in any online course and website.