Internet Safety Tips: To be safe on the internet while using internet banking, digital payments wallets, cashless transactions and keeping kids safe then follow these basic internet safety tips to be safe on the internet.
No matter how safe website owners and digital payments wallets companies promise. But it’s really important to take internet safety precautions. Internet safety is important for students, shoppers, shopping websites, apps, professional and everyone included with government and banks.
Basic Internet Safety Tips:
1. Get the basic knowledge of computer and internet security from cyber experts or on the internet by doing various free online courses.
2. Always check email messages carefully before sending personal or private information.
3. Don’t give and use the debit cards and credit cards on the websites without HTTPs and padlock icons. Also right-click on the padlock icon and check validation certification. Don’t use such websites for money transactions if validity is expired.
4. Never give online banking, mobile money wallets information to anyone or suspicious people on the internet and offline too. Do not share passwords and bank account details on social groups.
5. Always protect data on your computer. You can also use Bitlocker on the drive data in Windows pc. Also, take backups in DVD or use cloud storage applications.
6. Make sure your Wi-FI is secure and safe to use. You can also change the default password provided to you by the internet service provider. Create a strong password and never share it with unknown people. If your internet speed is getting slow contact with your internet service provider and make sure that personal WI-FI network is secure and safe.
7. Use a strong password of more than 8 characters. Always use the symbol (@, # $, etc.), tough to guess a number (894617), a combination of capital and small letters. Don’t’ use easy passwords such as date of birth, mobile number and kids’ name, etc. Also, create different passwords for each application you use on the internet. Such as Facebook, Gmail, digital wallets and internet banking, etc. internet application passwords should be different.
8. Install updated antivirus and anti-hacking software on your computer. Turn on the firewall. Turn off network discovery and file sharing during public internet access. Also, you can install antivirus extension and add-on in your browser.
9. Be conscious while surfing the web. Don’t visit infected websites and adult content websites. They corrupt your browser and steal information. Be with parents while using the internet. And if you find anything that is looking attractive don’t click and talk to parents about that quickly.
10. Logout from an email account, social media accounts while using internet or surfing websites. Also always turn off the internet when you’re not using it on your mobile and computer. Never leave a computer and mobile connected to the internet.
11. Don’t allow any website to use your location and allow sending you a notification to your desktop. Don’t give any personal information, email accounts, mobile number to unknown people and less trusted websites on the internet. Also do not make friends you don’t know offline. Be careful.
12. Don’t’ click on pop-ups, attractive messages, download free and you win 10000, etc. kind of content on the internet. Be careful also from people you connect on social media sites. A girl can be a hacker you’re chatting with or a boy can be a hacker. Make sure while chatting on social media and chatting apps. So be aware of such people.
13. Don’t save personal information on the desktop while using public computers and the internet especially in cyber cafés. Never transfer funds or don’t use internet banking and such application in cyber shops.
14. While doing checkout, transferring money, doing recharge online never save your debit card information on the website. Shopping Websites ask you to save your card details for next time. But don’t do that!
15. When download software and games on the internet make sure that you’re using trusted websites. Also torrent provider websites and torrent kinds of software are not safe to use and they can send a virus on the computer. There are viruses that collect information from the computer send back to the hacker. So, be careful especially when downloading software.
16. Use a double security check by using a one-time password (OTP) in the Gmail account. The benefit of OTP is that it will send code on your mobile phone after you enter the password. This is a good option that you can prevent your email accounts.
17. Never save the password in your browser when you log in to Facebook, Twitter, and Gmail, etc. application on the internet. When you log in to any application it will ask you save your password. So, never click on the yes button to save the password on the internet on any website. It also never stays signed in and always uncheck the box.
18. Clear browser cookies detail, caches, and history each time you close your browser. Also in windows computer use the Disk Clean up the option to clean your computer’s temporary files and dummy files. You can also use type %temp% in the run menu in a windows computer and delete temporary files.
19. Always careful that your computer time, IP, network settings are correct. Your window and all kind of other applications such as antivirus should be updated or you can update regularly. Update antivirus immediately if it’s expired, don’t use expired antivirus in the computer it is the same as an expired antibiotic.
20. Leave spam groups on social media sites. If you find anything uncomfortable on social media sites report this to website admin.
21. Only use bank recommended apps and applications for online transactions. Always follow all kinds of security measurements published on bank sites.
22. Do not give mobile to children with an internet connection without your eye on the phone and kids. Be friends with your kids and teenagers. And always keep asking them about their internet activities.
23. Keep getting knowledge about internet safety tips, rules, and facts. Stay safe on the internet by learning and asking others.
24. Do not install infected or less trustworthy apps on your mobile phone. And never allow any apps to access your most important data. Read the privacy policies of each website or apps while installing and agreeing to install.
25. Never use virus-infected Pen Drive on your laptop and computer. Also do not use your pen drive on a public PC without antivirus. Do not give a pen drive to anyone unknown without your physical presence.
26. Never share confidential details of your account to anyone on phone and email such as account number, PIN, Password, URN, OTP, etc.
27. Do not reply to emails, calls, and SMS that you claimed to be the lottery winner.
To be continued ……………
There are various positives and negatives impacts of the internet in our society. The Internet is very beneficial but if we know the uses of the internet in our daily life and what are the productive things that you can on the internet. When you use the internet with the presence of mind it is very useful and beneficial for everyone around the world.
So, follow these basic internet safety tips and stay safe online and educate others to be safe.