WordPress Guide for Beginners:
WordPress is free, easier to use (open-source software), and the fastest way to build personal, business, and blog websites by using themes and plugins. WordPress and its supportive plugins are created and designed in a way so that it will become easy and effective for people to build, maintain websites on their own. And there are millions of websites that are created by using WordPress.
Benefits of learning or using WordPress:
- 1. If you’re running a small business or home-based business then you can use WordPress to build your business website on your own with little or no cost. You have to pay only for domain and hosting.
- If you’re freshers or beginners in any field and looking for jobs and employment you can use WordPress to build a resume or portfolio website to showcase in front of potential employers.
- If you want to sell products online then you can use WordPress + WooCommerce plugin to build and run your own online store.
- If you’re an educator, leader, and in any kind of profession then you can run a blog to connect and communicate with people around the world.
- If you’re looking to start a small or home-based business online then you can learn WordPress and provide WordPress website building services in your local area for small business owners, stores, and shops.
- Even if you don’t do any of the above works still you can use WordPress to expand your hobby and interest. You can start a personal blog related to fashion, gardening, cooking, travel, home decoration, nature, and many other interesting and hobby-related topics.
- If you’re learning to program then you can also specialize in WordPress Development Services.
How long does it take to learn WordPress?
It can take you a few hours or a few months depends on your WordPress learning goals. You can consider the following goals and time as an example:
Just Understanding, what is WordPress, and its use is not enough to take the benefits of WordPress open source CMS (Content Management System).
Basic Understanding and Knowledge about WordPress: If you want to hire a WordPress website designer, developer to build your website then you can learn and understand What is WordPress, How WordPress works, Why it’s good to use for a website, etc. then it will take 1 to 2 hours approximately to learn in detailed about the productive uses of WordPress for business.
Basic Practical Knowledge of using WordPress: Basic practical knowledge of WordPress means you’re able to build your website on your own. It means you’re able to do the following things:
- You can buy domain and hosting.
- You can host your domain.
- You can install themes and plugins.
- You can add, upload, and edit content.
- You can use plugins.
- You can customize or able to use theme options.
- You are able to create sitemap.xml and able to submit it on Google and Bing.
If you’re able to do all the above things, then it’s good basic knowledge. And there are free video tutorials that teach you to do all of the above in 3 to 4 hours even in 1 hour. But practically it will take 10 to 15 days to complete a basic business website.
Learning WordPress is one thing and making a website using WordPress is another thing. Not all who know about WordPress or Able to install themes and plugins and are not able to build a quality WordPress website that is optimized, responsive, and fast. To learn this, it will take a minimum of 10 to 15 days to build a good website while learning WordPress.
Good Knowledge of WordPress: If you’re able to build any type of personal, business, and eCommerce website by using WordPress then it means you’re really good at WordPress and Website building. The website you build is responsive, fast, optimized for search engine traffic, and attractive. Good knowledge of WordPress also means that you can customize and edit HTML, CSS, Design. You know the best plugins, themes, and methods to build a website.
So, to become good at WordPress or to gain a good knowledge of WordPress it will take a minimum of 5 to 6 months for normal people to learn WordPress. And it’s also very important that they have basic knowledge of computers and the internet.
Expert Level Knowledge: To gain expert-level knowledge of WordPress it will take a minimum of 1 year. It means now you’re able to do the following things:
- You can edit and customize any WordPress Theme.
- You can solve technical errors in WordPress Website.
- You’re able to build Themes and Plugin on your own.
- You’re able to provide the WordPress Web Development services.
- or you’re running and getting minimum 1000+ monthly traffic on your own created WordPress Website for business.
So, in conclusion, I will say that you can set a minimum of 12 months to gain expert-level knowledge of WordPress. But it’s doesn’t mean you’re not able to build a website until 12 months. You will start building a website within a few days. And when you run, manage, and make that WordPress website successful you will learn more. And you will learn daily. It’s a never-ending process.
So, after considering all the above points, let’s talk about what is the fastest way to learn WordPress? Actually, the question is How to convert 12 months of WordPress learning into 1 month?
And it’s very easy to learn WordPress faster. I have considered 12 months’ time for a non-technical background people to become experts in WordPress.
But what it takes to learn WordPress skill faster:
- Build your own website and set goals to get 1000+ visitors in the next 6 months from search engines. In this process, you will learn how to make the user and search engine friendly website.
- Set goals to work as a WordPress Developer. Now in this process, you will learn themes, plugin development, and many other WordPress related business models.
- 5 to 6 hours of daily practice. It means practicing and using WordPress Website Design and SEO techniques daily on your own website or client website.
- Understanding the goal of the website more than WordPress Technologies.
Here is a complete guide in more details: Ways you can follow to build any type of WordPress Website
Things that will help you to learn WordPress Fast:
Set goals for learning WordPress. Why do you want to learn?
Once you define it as per the above examples, it will help you to get the direction in which you have to walk and run. Else without a particular and specific goal, it’s tough to do it fast.
For example, if your goal is to build an eCommerce or business website then this goal will help you to find out and get the information from the Blogs, Video Tutorials, Online Courses to build a business website. Else if you want a business website, but learning about the portfolio website then it’s not possible to learn WordPress fast.
Methods you can use as per your WordPress Learning Goals:
- You can read WordPress website development blogs
- You can watch free WordPress video tutorials on YouTube
- You can do Online WordPress Courses
- You can use https://codex.wordpress.org/
- You can work with someone you know using WordPress
- Work with someone using WordPress for the website and learn from them.
- Follow the people running successful WordPress Websites related to your goal.
- Build your website as a sample for the final project along the way.
Challenges you will get while trying to learn WordPress:
- When you start you can find it difficult? But as long as you keep doing and following the tutorial it will become easy.
- You can be distracted by other solutions such as Website Builders or people who say WordPress is not a good option to start to build a website. But I think it’s the fastest and easiest way to build a website especially for those who don’t much web development skills and budget and most importantly it’s open source. Learn more about open source development and software such as Linux.
- You have to schedule and manage your time effectively.
- You have to commit to learn and work daily on your WordPress website.
- Sometimes you will get errors and problems while building the website, but in that time search on Google and YouTube to find out solutions.
- You focus more on building a good website more than learning more technical things about WordPress. It means to focus on the end product. And to build that end product effectively and best you have to learn the ways that make it possible.
But is it being easy to learn WordPress?
It depends on you. In the beginning, everything you read and watch can be difficult for you especially if you don’t have basic knowledge of computers. But don’t worry. It’s not about the difficulty.
It’s about the reasons, commitment, and goals. If you think you can do it then you can do it no matter how difficult and challenging it is in the beginning. It’s not that difficult to learn WordPress these days.
There are thousands of WordPress related education and knowledge available for beginners. It depends on you how you can use it.
Here is another post on this same topic with different explanations: How long does it take to learn WordPress Skills?
So, my suggestions are simple. Instead of trying to learn WordPress Fast, focus, and try to build a good website. And if you can build it in one day then it means you have learned WordPress in one day.
But if you think that watching all the tutorials in one day, will make you good in WordPress then I don’t think it’s practical and possible. I am using WordPress from 7 to 8 years and but I am still learning new things each day when I need to update, upgrade, and expand this blog.
So, the fastest way to learn WordPress is to build and make and grow your WordPress website features and content with a bigger vision.