When you hire someone to build a blog, business, e-commerce, portfolio or any type of niche website then you have to consider many technical and business things.
Top reasons behind confusion:
- Each website designer and developer charges as per the value of their time and expertise. Someone can charge $20 per hour and create a website within 5 to 10 hours.
- While the other person can charge $500 for the website and can take 10 days to complete it.
- While many website builder applications promoting their plans with free packages as well.
- And many business owners also know that they can use WordPress to create business, blog and eCommerce websites for free.
- Each website is different. The creation of a blog website is easier than an eCommerce website. Some have a $100 budget for a website and others have $1000 dollars.
- Many business owners have clear goals for the website and many even don’t know why they are building it.
There are so many things that take lots of energy, considerations, and time to take the decision to hire someone to build a website.
So if you’re one of those who want to hire someone to build a website but don’t know what to consider, how to decide the price, how to select the person (design/developer/friend/known/unknown) then this post is for you.
In this post, you will find out essential tips to consider while hiring someone to build a website.
1st Step: Business goals and Vision
Clear and focused business plan and strategies for your business website.
2nd Step: Selection of website building platform and technologies. You can build websites using WordPress, HTML+CSS, Website Builders, PHP and Python-Django, etc. Here you can learn more: Different Ways to build any type of Website
3rd Step: How to hire? Research on hiring options:
- You can use an online marketplace or freelancing website to hire a website designer.
- You can do a local city search for a website designer or website design agency. For example, a website designer in your city (Chicago)
- If you want to hire to build an e-commerce website then you can search “e-commerce website developer or builder based on your city (in Chicago”).
- You can contact known and unknown people to find a website designer for you.
- You can hire freelancers on freelance marketplace websites such as Upwork, Fiverr, Toptal, People per hour, and many others.
Now contact a minimum of 3-5 website designers or website design agencies before finalizing anyone. You can’t spend your money on anyone. For that, you have to compare website design expertise and prices before hiring.
Essential things to consider when you hire someone to build a website:
Essential things to consider are the questions that you need to ask who is building your website. It can be a website design agency, freelance website designer, and your known or unknown person who will build the website. And you can also ask these questions to yourself:
- Can you design a website for my business? I want to get customers’ orders online. And I want a similar website?
- You can also ask specifically for the more targeted answer.
- For example, can you build a clothing store website?
- Can you build a simple business information website?
- Can you build a business home decoration blog website for me?
Now you have to ask this question to more than 5 people. And note down the answer or remember what the person said to you. Remember, a more specific answer and the answer that looks like a plan, not a sales pitch will be best.
- Can you please share with me some of your recent projects or similar projects?
Now notice the websites or their sample. And read their name or website design agency name on the website. Some website designers or agencies share with you fake designs or other companies’ designed websites. So, make sure they provide you the proof. You can also see is the designs and functionality of the website are up to the industry standard.
- How much you charge to build a website? What technology or platform or methods you will use to build my website?
Compare the prices with other people, after the analysis of all the answers. If it’s self-coded, then the cost can be higher. If it’s in WordPress then the cost will be lower.
- Do I get controls of my website, if yes, and then ask how?
It’s important to get all the controls because in the future you have to update the website. And you can also hire another website designer for the same website later. But if you don’t have the control then it’s not a good deal.
- 5. What is the process if I need to update something immediately?
Some website design agencies take more than 2 days to update any small object on a website. Some have a ticket and chat support and it also depends on the company. But independent freelancers are quicker than web design agencies. Of coz, they will charge more.
- Do you educate me about How to use the website? If yes, then do I need to pay extra?
Educate means here that you should have the knowledge about how to log in and update the basic things on your website. This is a little extra cost for you, but very helpful. Also, if you don’t how to operate the website, what are the technologies, when they have to update, how they have to update etc. such as hosting company, website speed, etc.
- Is it a one-time payment? Or Do I need to pay you after a year?
Website designers or companies nowadays are selling monthly plans of approximately 400 o $10 per month. Very low, might be they are reselling website builder services as an affiliate. Some web design agency takes only renewal fees after a year.
- Do I need to buy hosting separately?
You can do that, but make sure that the web design agency gives a discount on hosting for you.
- What is the process if I want to add the new features to the website?
This is the most important question you should while dealing with website designers and companies. If you hire a regular or hire a website designer on a monthly basis then you don’t have to worry about that, it’s because you’re paying them a salary. But this also depends on your plans. If you want to run an online store then you need your own small IT team remotely or in your office.
Many web design agencies provide online store building services, but they are unable to handle and provide services that able to sell and market your products online. And the cost of hiring online store builders is more. So, ask this question to all the website designers or website design agencies in advance.
- Do we sign the legal agreement?
This is the professional practice in which both the website designer and business owners are bound to follow the appropriate conditions. Both are on the same table.
After a discussion on all the above or similar questions and answers, now the following are some tips that you should note while discussing your project. You can use the note down the important points and package the deal in an excel sheet:
- Note down the skill.
- Note down the prices in a different column.
- Check out the portfolio of a web designer or web design agency.
- Ask their support and services methods to existed clients.
- Also, note down the verbal commitments. You can record audio, video. If it’s through emails then it’s good.
- Compare how many people agree to sign the agreement.
- Differentiate force and education. Some website designers or agencies force you and some inspire or educate you.
- Compare the extra cost.
So, I think the above guidelines and methods will help you to hire the best web designer. The following are the most important suggestion for you:
- Make sure that you’re a registered owner of the domain.
- Make sure your website designs or themes and code have up to date.
- If you’re using a WordPress theme then it’s important that it’s billed as your account or you’re the owner of the theme.
- When using a WordPress theme, make sure you or your website designer activate it to get automatic updates from the theme builder.
- Make sure that the website is indexed on Google or search engine and basic SEO of the website has been done.
- Make sure that the Google Analytics code has been inserted into the website, so you can track the website traffic and build marketing strategies accordingly.
That’s it friends, what I think will be important for you to consider when trying to hire a website designer. It’s important to consider that in the future when you want to expand the business online then you will able to do that. It will possible when you have a strong foundation on the website.