Uses of Microsoft Excel in daily life is to perform the calculation, analysis, and visualization of data and information. Microsoft Excel is one of the most important workplace applications that help to organize business system and processes of data and information by the use of columns and rows with formulas.
Microsoft Excel Application is developed and marketed by Microsoft Inc. for Windows, Mac OS, for Cloud computing and Android users. In the excel spreadsheet users can do all kind of mathematical, financial, logical calculation, data manipulation, data analysis and visualization of information in quick ways.
Excel is used by students, teachers, job seekers, managers, entrepreneurs, companies, retailers, distributors, freelancers, bloggers and housewives etc. in their daily life.
Microsoft Excel first version was released 31 years ago on September 30, 1985. Today, the latest version you can download is version 16.0 or Excel 2016. Commonly people download & buy complete MS-Office. Because Microsoft Office Suite includes all official application such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, Outlook etc. in one complete pack.
Excel spreadsheet is a group of 10,48,576 rows and 16384 columns. Excel is in a table format in which one index is called CELL. In Excel, there are three worksheets by default. A group of worksheets is called workbook. Workbook and the electronic spreadsheet is now the synonym of Microsoft Excel.
For a higher level of data calculation and manipulation, the use of function library in Excel is important to utilize. Function library in Excel contains Financial, Logical and text filtration formulas that are most important to practice for every excel learner. Excel also provides table styles and conditional formatting option for users. That is very beneficial to visualization of data in colors, based on a condition in the cells.
Microsoft Excel software provides very wide features and functionalities for everyday official works. Let’s understand the various uses of Microsoft Excel features in the daily life, based on different types of users around the world.
Top 8 Exceptional uses of Microsoft Excel
1. Uses of Microsoft Excel in Education: –Teachers can use table styles, shapes, charts, data tools, and formulas to teach students in the classrooms. Students can learn and solve basic and logical-mathematical problems and statistics in excel.
Teachers can educate by creating a table in Excel sheet. They can highlight more interesting cells in colors, emphasize important values and visualize data using bars and charts.
Below is the basic example 1.0 of data visualization in Microsoft Excel 2010 (Note: data used in this example is not correct it’s just for educational example.)
The above data visualization example is easy to understand which is created by the use of two excel functions conditional formatting and chart. You can see in the first picture that literacy rate of countries is highlighted in red color by the use of conditional formatting. Conditional formatting is used to decorate, design, visual appealing of data by using data bars, color scale, and icons based on figures. Such as you can see 99% literacy rate cell is filled more than others and 45% cell is filled with less color than others.
In charts, you can see China data bar is bigger than others. Charts are used to compare values visually written inside the cell. You can access this option in Insert menu.
Another use of Excel for Teacher to schedule periods.
You can insert above period planner by using template function in Excel.
As such similar example if you Google then you as a teacher or student can understand the various aspects of Microsoft Excel in Education. If you don’t want to Google then visit Template menu and select Education category and you will find out some outstanding pre-defined template with formulas for various educational purposes. You can see template picture in point 2 in which I am sharing little more about templates.
The above example can be used in Business similar, only need to change the values. The options of Microsoft Excel are same for all users but it depends on us, how we use a particular option.
Must Read: Importance of Microsoft Excel for Students
2. Uses of Microsoft Excel in Business: – I don’t think the business owner, either small or big company can be productive and managed without the use of Microsoft Excel.
Microsoft Excel application can be used in various business operations. Such as goal setting, budgeting process, and planning, team management, accounts management, income, and expenses calculation, product and service valuation and management of client’s data etc. in business.
The uses of Microsoft Excel in business make such daily official operations faster, accurate and predictable. Because Excel provides great features such as filters, charts, conditional formatting and pivot table, logical and financial formulas.
Let’s see below the basic account management example 2.0 in Microsoft Excel (Note: This is just for example)
In above example 2.0 you can see the basic income and expenses report month wise with quote of the month at the end. In quote column I used this formula: =IF(F6>=400000,”Outstanding”,IF(F6>=300000,”Above Average”, IF(F6>=200000,”Average”,”Below Average”)))
This is just but you can understand that only with IF formula you can create thousands of types of logic in your business calculation. The above exercise is just created manually not a big deal. But if you want to access real power of Microsoft Excel in Business operations then visit template menu.
As you can see template picture that there are various high-quality templates that business users can use in their business calculation. Such as VAT Invoice, Marketing Campaign tracker, break even analysis etc. are very beneficial. The benefit of using the template in Excel that you don’t need to create everything from scratch, you only need select or search and then download. After then you can edit the downloaded template according to your choice. This is that simple!
Must Read: Importance of Microsoft Excel in Business
3. Uses of Microsoft Excel in Goal Setting and Planning: –Goal setting and planning is a task that all we do repeatedly each day. Goal setting and planning is very important for everyone from students to business owners. But goal setting and planning takes white paper, time and lots of calculation but if you use Excel then it becomes very easy and environmentally friendly.
In this example, you can see that it’s very easy to design the complete financial plan and goals by using formulas, raw and columns.
You can see in example 3.1 that it’s easy to track goals and planning each day on excels.
4. Uses of Microsoft Excel for Business Owners: –Online business owners or offline can use Excel to manage their daily life work. Such as work progress, team management, payouts details, business progress. Such as if you want to track your marketing campaign progress then go to file->new->template and search for a marketing campaign and you will be amazed by seeing pre-designed and formulated cells.
5. Uses of Microsoft Excel for Housewives: – Housewives can use Excel to manage their daily house expenses. They can create monthly expenses report. They can track their spending habits. Also if housewives learn Excel then it’s also beneficial for them to teach kids basic excel skills too. It is because many computer teachers are unable (due to various reasons) to teach all excel skills practically to students in schools.
The use of Excel for housewives also helpful if they are doing business or job or for looking part time work. There are various online and offline jobs and projects that they can do from home by learning and using excel.
6. Uses of Microsoft Excel for Data Analysis: –Data analysis is very important to work today for an online business or website owners (eCommerce, blog, forums etc.). Such as from tracking website visitors, products sell, customer reviews, marketing campaigns, user behaviour and events etc. Such work is very time and brain consuming especially when things are not going according to the plan.
Microsoft Excel application provides great benefit for online business owners and customers. Such as by filtering users data by country, filtering user by age, adding conditional formulas in big data etc. are common daily tasks that can be handled smartly in excel.
7. Uses of Excel in Daily Progress Report: –Many online and offline companies and clients making it mandatory for virtual and offline staff to maintain their daily progress report. It is not only beneficial for employees but also for companies to track daily progress report. You can create a table with Date, Time, Client, Task, Duration, and status etc. according to demand from clients or manager.
Also, the daily progress report is very beneficial for students and teachers. But all start by learning and execution. As you know the computer is a magical device that we’re using in daily life. Routinely there are various uses of computer in our life but all depend on how much you’re interested in learning.
8. Uses of Excel in Career Development: –When you learn to excel, you learn the management of daily life. In daily life, there are various things that need to be calculated. Why? Because we’re doing multiple works in daily routine. Shopping, learning, entertainment, and expenses all such small things need to manage.
If you’re a student then it is very important for you to learn Microsoft Excel. Microsoft Excel knowledge will help you to get a job. Because as I discussed above there are almost all small and medium businesses use Excel in their daily official works.
If you’re writing about computer skills in resume then make sure that you know about Excel and Microsoft Office and Internet research and highlight such skills.
Career Development is more about career management. Time management, learning management, work and life management and goal oriented habits are very important. Such things you can learn in excel. When you create your college expenses report then at the end of the month you can analyze where you’re spending more money.
Also if you’re doing learning or doing online courses then you can use Excel to track knowledge. Such as if you learned today about Conditional formatting then create a table with Date, Topic and Satisfaction level etc. This is very beneficial because then you can understand your daily learning outcomes and effects of knowledge on you.
For example, if you’re learning digital marketing but you’re not tracking and creating notes in one line conclusion then it’s tough to implement that knowledge later. I mean for example today you learned about PPC and CTR and then it’s really important that you can write it in your diary or in Excel about it in conclusion or in summary.
Such kind of learning management is very important. Because it happen to me often when we learn something on the internet or on blogs because of different conclusions and we often forget about the main points. For example, if I telling you to learn English typing then it’s just an advice or suggestion but if I am telling you that learn English Typing by using basic typing lessons such as ASDF;lkj etc. then it’s really important for you to note it down and practice.
Related: – How to choose a career in IT field
How to use and learn Microsoft Excel for personal benefits
The 1st method is that define what you want, before googling. For example, you want to create monthly expenses report in excel then type this same line in Google and you will get tutorials. Follow the steps and you will do it.
2nd method is you can take an online course and that will be more beneficial. Because then you can learn everything stepwise.
Read this article: Best Online Courses to learn Microsoft Excel 2016
3rd method is to take admission in computer institute and join offline classes of basic computer or Excel basics.
Conclusions: – The more you learn about excel the more you develop the ways to use excel in your daily life. I am still learning, why you don’t learn. It’s better to spend time on learning then doing likes on unnecessary things. Understand your duty as a student because learning is more important for you then entertainment in life.
Must Read: – Microsoft Word uses and features
If you haven’t subscribed yet, Please Enter your email id here & subscribe then verify it by visiting verification link in your mailbox, after that you will get great articles like this one automatically to your email inbox.
Vijay Kumar is Entrepreneur, IT Career/Leadership Skills Trainer and likes to help students, freelancers, and job seekers with his personal and professional experiences and ideas. The goal of writing is to help students to grow IT related Career and Leadership Skills.
For updates and messages: FACEBOOK TWITTER